Recovery Camp is an innovative and immersive clinical placement experience for students, offering the opportunity to directly engage with people living with mental illness in a unique outdoor recreation setting. Students will experience mental health care that is community-based and recovery-oriented.
Students have the opportunity to learn how to:
- Develop, maintain and close therapeutic relationships
- Work, communicate and interact collaboratively with people with a lived experience of mental illness and members of a multi-disciplinary team
- Plan, implement and evaluate health care in the context of daily lived experience
- Describe stigma and the effect it has on daily living
- Conduct mental health assessments in a new context, and
- Think critically and solve problems.
Research indicates that, for health students, attendance at Recovery Camp better prepares them for future health practice by significantly:
- Increasing their clinical confidence and competence to work in a mental health setting, and
- Reducing their stigmatising attitudes towards people with mental illness.
Recovery Camp has partnered with the following universities to provide clinical placement for their students:
- University of Wollongong
- Charles Sturt University
- University of New England
- University of Technology Sydney
- Australian Catholic University
- Central Queensland University
- Federation University Australia
- University of Tasmania
- Taipei Medical University
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information